Do you want to indulge in a sweet treat that will transport you to Italy? These delicious Italian leaf cookies are the perfect treat.
Italians love this traditional recipe, and now you can taste Italy in your kitchen. The delicate texture and subtle vanilla flavour make these cookies perfect for any occasion. This recipe will satisfy your cravings if you are craving something sweet or baking for a special occasion.
What are Italian Leaf Cookies?
It is a light and delicate cookie with leaf patterns. A special iron press is used to achieve their thin and crispy texture. The chocolate in the middle of these tiny, crunchy cookies makes them tempting. These Italian cookies are in the shape of leaves. They look very pretty and taste great.
It’s easy to make Italian Leaf Cookies; they only need to bake for 35 minutes. To make these cookies, you’ll need unsalted butter, caster sugar, an egg, vanilla extract, plain flour, baking powder, salt, food coloring, and melted chocolate.
Ingredients of My Italian Leaf Cookies Recipe
This mouthwatering dessert recipe requires only a few ingredients. All of these pantry ingredients are very common in any kitchen. Here are the ingredients you need:
1. Flour: For this cookie recipe, flour is the key ingredient. You cannot make cookies without flour. Therefore, you should take 2 cups of flour. Any flour will work, such as plain, all-purpose, and wheat flour.
2. Butter (unsalted): Butter is another essential ingredient for Italian leaf cookies. Only 2 tablespoons of butter are needed. You can make your cookies smell good by using butter.
3. Caster Sugar: With other ingredients, caster sugar can dissolve quickly. For this reason, caster sugar is a great ingredient for making airy and light desserts like cookies. For this recipe, you will need ½ cups of caster sugar. If you do not have caster sugar, substitute it with regular white or granulated sugar.
4. Vanilla Extract: Vanilla extract will remove the bad odor of raw ingredients such as eggs. It will also enhance the taste of your recipe. Take 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
5. Egg: No cookie recipe can be made without eggs. Therefore, this recipe for green leaf cookies is the same too. This recipe requires one large egg. Put an egg in a bowl and beat it. Set aside the beaten egg.
6. Salt: All ages enjoy salty and sweet cookies. Add 1 tsp of salt to your recipe to make a salty flavor.
7. Baking Powder: For a properly rising cookie dough, add baking powder. It will give your cookies an airy texture.
8. Chocolate: You need chocolate to fill the cookies. So, you need a chocolate packet. Melt the chocolate at room temperature or in the oven. Melt the chocolate in a bowl and set it aside.
9. Food Color (Pink & Green): You can take the food coloring according to your preference. You can choose any color: red, pink, green, yellow, orange, or any combination. I prefer to use the green and pink colors.
How to Make Italian Leaf Cookies?
Pink and green Italian leaf cookies are extremely easy to make. There are also very simple and straightforward steps to follow-
Step 1: Combine Ingredients
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix sugar and butter in a bowl. Combine them well. Add vanilla extract and egg after mixing butter and sugar well. Stir well and keep mixing. I prefer to use an electric mixture to do the mixing faster.
Now add flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix everything. Stir the dough until it becomes smooth.
Step 2: Divided the Dough
Divide the dough equally between two bowls. Add pink to one bowl and green color to another. Make sure the color is mixed properly with the dough. Let the batter chill for 5 minutes while adding the food coloring to two foil pieces of paper.
Step 3: Roll and Give Shape
Roll the batter on the surface. Then, roll them one by one.
Then cut the leaf-shaped batter with a shape cutter. Alternatively, you can use the nozzle to shape the batter into leaves.
Step 4: Bake Them
Afterward, bake the cookies for 20 minutes in your preheated oven. It’s time to bake your cookies. After 10 minutes, let them cool.
Step 5: Fill With Chocolate
The next step is to fill two cookies with chocolate. It is because I prefer chocolate-flavored Italian leaf cookies.
Step 6: Set The Cookies & Enjoy
Fill two cookies with the tempered chocolate and repeat with the remaining cookies. Allow them to set. It’s time to enjoy your chocolate-filled leaf cookies.
What Are the Health Benefits of Italian Leaf Cookies?
Flour, butter, and egg are the main ingredients of Italian Leaf Cookies, which have many health benefits. Here they are:
Flour: The Italian Leaf Cookies are packed with nutrients and protein. The plain flour in cookies provides protein, vitamins, fiber, and minerals that contribute to a stable metabolism and increased energy.
Butter: The growth and development of bones depend on vitamin D, which is found in unsalted butter. Also contains calcium, essential for bone growth.
Egg: Eggs are nutrient-dense, provide high-quality protein, increase “good” cholesterol levels, and are an exceptional source of vitamin D.
- Butter (Unsalted) -1cup
- Caster Sugar -⅔ cup
- Large Egg -1
- Flour - 1 ⅞ cups
- Vanilla Extract -1 tsp
- Baking Powder - ½ tsp
- Salt (To Taste)
- Food Coloring (as you like) - 6 Drops
- Tempered Chocolate - 1 cup
- Turn the oven on to 350°F and preheat it.
- Using an electric hand mixer, mix the butter and sugar together.
- Then add vanilla and egg, and beat well.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Separate the batter into two bowls,
- Using food coloring, color each one.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Using a rolling pin and cutter, shape the dough into leaf shapes.
- For 20 minutes, bake on lined trays.
- Allow cookies to cool completely before eating.
- Filled with tempered chocolate.
- Let it set, then enjoy!
What to Pair With Italian Leaf Cookies?
A rich, flavorful cookie made with premium, locally sourced ingredients. Besides milk, coffee, and ice cream, cookies are a good wine match. You can enjoy wine and cookies at parties, holiday gatherings, or even on a romantic date.
How to Store Italian Leaf Cookies?
It is best to store crisp cookies in glass containers. Avoid storing it in plastic bags. Instead, use a container with a lid.
Refrigeration will maintain the crispness of cookies. Italian Leaf Cookies can be stored in the refrigerator for two months and at room temperature for 14 days. Six months of freezing preserves the quality of cookies.
How to Reheat Italian Leaf Cookies?
To reheat the cookies, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and place the cookies on parchment-lined baking sheets to reheat the cookies. To avoid overcooking or drying out the cookies, watch them as they reheat.
Italian leaf cookies are a delicious and traditional treat that is perfect for any occasion. With their light and delicate texture, these cookies are sure to impress your friends and family.
Whether you’re making them for a holiday gathering or just to satisfy your sweet tooth, this recipe is easy to follow and yields amazing results. The combination of almond flavoring and a hint of citrus makes these cookies truly irresistible. So why not give this recipe a try? You won’t be disappointed.